Version 1: 22 June 2018
The Baring Archive
Adrian Marsh, Secretary of The Baring Archive
Next review date:
This policy applies to information held about researchers and prospective researchers, suppliers and prospective suppliers, donors, contacts and all other persons about whom The Baring Archive Limited holds information. By ‘information’ we mean personal information about you that we collect, use, share and store.
In this policy, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’ means The Baring Archive Limited, a charity registered in England No. 1117868 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in England No 5773999. ‘You’ and ‘your’ means the individual to which the information relates.
1. What we collect
We may collect:
- Your name
- Your contact information (address, academic institution, email address and telephone number)
- Information related to your enquiry and your research interests
- Information related to your visit to The Baring Archive and documents consulted
2. How we collect information about you
We may collect such information:
- In person, in writing or via email
- Via the enquiry form on our website
- Via our Conditions of Access and Archives Used form
3. What we do with the information we collect
We may use your information to:
- Provide information to you about The Baring Archive and our services to you
- Keep you informed about the collection and items and events that you may find interesting
- Communicate with you generally
- Administer our site and for internal operations including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes
- Keep our site safe and secure
- Maintain security and to check your identity
4. Legal basis for processing
We process your personal information:
- In order to provide you with access to The Baring Archive
- For the purposes of legitimate interests pursued by us
5. Legitimate interests
Where our processing is based on the legitimate interest ground described above, those legitimate interests are:
- Collecting personal information to provide you with a smooth and efficient experience
- To make sure you receive updated information on our business activities
- To provide the services you have requested
- For our own marketing and research.
6. Sharing your information
Except as expressly set out in this policy we will not provide your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
The personal information you provide to us may be shared with third party companies, agents, contractors, service providers or affiliated companies if this is necessary to provide you with our services, respond to your inquiries or for any of the purposes described in this policy.
7. Transferring your information outside the UK
We will not, in general, transfer your information to a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA").
If we do so, we will only do so where:
- We impose obligations on the recipients of that data to protect your information to the standard required in the EEA or
- The transfer is to a country deemed by the European Commission to provide adequate protection of your information
8. Your rights
At any time, you have the right:
- To request access to or a copy of any personal data which we hold about you
- To rectification of your personal data, if you consider that the information we are holding is inaccurate
- To withdraw consent to our processing of your personal data
- To ask us to stop or start sending you marketing messages as described below in the marketing section
- To restrict processing of your personal data
Any request from you for access to/ a copy of your personal data must be in writing and we will endeavour to respond within a reasonable period of time in compliance with data protection legislation. We will comply with our legal obligations as regards your rights as a data subject.
We aim to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate at all times. To assist us in ensuring that your information is up to date, do let us know if any of your personal details change at the following email address: email@example.com.
Where you are one of our researchers or have otherwise been in contact with The Baring Archive, we may use your personal information to send you information about events and news relating to The Baring Archive. You can unsubscribe from receiving such information at any time, by contacting us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will action any opt out request from you promptly.
10. How long we will keep the information
We will only keep the information we collect about you for as long as required for the purposes set out above or as required to comply with any legal obligations to which we are subject.
This will involve us periodically reviewing our files to check that information is accurate, up-to-date and still required.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
12. Complaints and other feedback
Complaints, and also any questions, comments and requests regarding this policy and should be addressed to email@example.com.
13. Changes to this policy
Any changes we make to our policy in the future will be posted on this page.